Can I Get Circumcised if I am HIV-positive?
HIV-positive Brothers who know their status are also welcome to come for circumcision. You may get medically circumcised depending on the results of a CD4 count test and the doctor's recommendation. If you are not eligible for circumcision on the same day, a future appointment will be made when you can come to be circumcised.
It is very important that HIV-positive Brothers stick to abstaining from sex during the 6-week healing period because the open wound will expose your partner/s to HIV. Having sex or masturbating while the wound is still healing means risking an infection and/or damaging the wound, which means it will take even longer to heal.
If you test positive for HIV or have been living with HIV for some time, MMC can't protect you or your partner from HIV but it still has many advantages:
- Reduces your risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases or sexually transmitted infections (STIs) such as herpes, syphilis, genital warts and chancroid
- Lowers the risk of penile cancer.
- Improves your hygiene because the head of the penis is easier to clean
- Reduces your partner's risk of cervical cancer and STIs.
- Minimal downtime - You can go back to work on the day of your circumcision or the next day. You will only need to take a few days off at most. If you need to take time off the healthcare facility will provide you with
a medical certificate.
- Having MMC done at a hygienic medical facility ensures that your circumcision is done quickly, safely and to the highest standards.Healthcare workers can also help you through the healing process.
- It can be performed free of charge at a health facility nearby