It is very important that you do not have sex or masturbate for 6 weeks while the wound heals! If you do have sex or masturbate, you could get an infection, or you could cause damage to the wound, slowing healing and exposing yourself to HIV.
Talk to your partner before and after you have the circumcision to explain and discuss why you cannot have sex during the healing process. This will help both of you be more comfortable with abstaining from sex.
Keep the bandage on and dry for the first 2 days after your circumcision. On day 2 you should go back to the clinic or hospital so that a healthcare provider can remove the bandage and check the wound.
You must also go back to your clinic on Day 7 and at 6 Weeks after your circumcision.
If you experience excessive pain or bleeding before the time or have any concerns please contact your clinic/service provider as soon as possible.
Once you have gone to the clinic on Day 2 after your circumcision to have your bandage removed by the healthcare worker, it is recommended that you clean your wound twice a day immediately after showering or bathing to prevent infections.
To clean your wound:
- Clean a container by rinsing the container with boiling water every time before cleaning your wound. This will help to prevent germs or bacteria that may be in the container from infecting your wound.
- Wash your hands before starting to clean your wound.
- Dissolve two teaspoons of salt into a cup of warm water (not hot or boiling).
- Take a clean face cloth and dip it into the cup with the salt solution and gently wipe an area of the wound. Rinse the cloth in warm water before wiping the next area.
- Make sure that you wipe properly around stitches without pulling them in order to prevent any infection or complications. This will prevent germs being transferred from one area to another and will help to prevent infections.
- Once you have cleaned your wound wash out the container using soap and hot water. Cover it with a plastic bag and put it in a place where it will not get dust as this will help to prevent infections. When your wound has fully healed clean the container with soap and hot water before throwing it away.
- The wound should remain clean and dry every day.
You should clean your wound this way for two weeks, or until the wound is closed.