Medical Male Circumcision (MMC) Intro
Medical male circumcision (MMC) is the surgical removal of the thin layer of skin that covers the head of the penis. Removing this skin, called the foreskin, fully exposes the head of the penis.
Getting circumcision is the right thing to do for your health and the health of your partner and loved ones because it has many health benefits:
- Reduces your risk of contracting HIV if you are an HIV-negative man
- Reduces your risk of some sexually transmitted diseases/sexually transmitted infections (STIs) whether you are HIV-negative or HIV-positive
- Reduces your partner's risk of cervical cancer
- Makes the penis easier to clean
- Lowers your risk of penile cancer
Circumcision doesn't fully protect you from HIV - it only lowers your risk of contracting the virus. You still need to use a condom correctly and consistently to make sure you are protected even if you are circumcised.