Rape Warning Signs
Men who rape have negative beliefs about women, about relationships and about sex. Some common beliefs:
- They believe that their sexual partners do not have the right to say no to sex.
- They believe that they are entitled to sex whenever they feel aroused.
- They believe that women are inferior to men.
- They believe that they if they buy women drinks or gifts that she owes them sex.
- They believe that they can tell a partner what clothes to wear and control where their partners should go and which friends she sees.
Common experiences include:
- Not having a caring, positive father figure
- Leaving school at an early age
- Experience of violence at home or in the community
- Poor communication at home
- Witnessing or experiencing sexual abuse
- Experience of being bullied
- Alcohol and drug abuse
Three quarters of men who rape do it for the first time before they are 20 years old, and most rape more than once.