Rape Myths & Facts
- A woman who gets drunk is inviting rape.
- Women who wear revealing clothing invite men to rape them.
- Rapists are strangers who attack in dark or lonely places.
- When a woman lets a man buy her a drink, he is entitled to have sex with her.
- It's not rape if they are married or in a relationship.
- Once a man is aroused and has an erection he has to have sex.
- Women say no when they mean yes.
- Men can't be raped.
- A person that is drunk can't give consent. Taking advantage of a drunk person is rape.
- Women are raped no matter what they wear - babies are raped, old women are raped, nuns are raped. Clothing does not make men rape. Women are entitled to wear whatever they choose, just as men are.
- Rapists are usually someone the survivor knows and are often a family member, friend, neighbour or current/ex-partner.
- Accepting a drink, does not mean that a woman is saying yes or consenting to sex. She has the right to choose if, when and with whom she has sex.
- In any relationship, each partner has the right to say no to sex. Rape often occurs in relationships and marriages. If a person does not consent to sex, it is rape, no matter the relationship between the two people.
- Every human being has control over their body and can choose to stop at any point.
- Only Yes means Yes.
- Men can be raped and do get raped.